Best Library Management Software in 2020
Finding the best Library Management Software for your business is now faster and easier! Compare prices, reviews, features, and get free consultation to find the perfect software.
Library Management is the systematic method of managing the whole library through a simple and interactive interface – LMS (Library Management Software). Using LMS, the librarian can handle basic housekeeping functions of a library such as storing all the library item details like author name, edition, price, etc. of all the books in a library database. It helps to provide information on any book present in library to the user as well as staff member.
Library Management Software keeps a track on all the books that are issued, returned and added to the library. Overseeing fee collection and fine issued to late return on the book are other important functions of LMS Software. Overall having a LMS Software is important for an efficient, user-friendly, fast and secure library management - be it a small size school library having limited users and books or a large size public library.
LMS software comes in various shape and sizes (e.g. small library software, cloud based library management software etc.), platform-specific (e.g. Windows-only, Linux-only, MAC-only) or supports multiple platforms (covering MAC, Linux, UNIX etc.), publisher-specific (e.g. Microsoft) or multi-vendor, static (i.e. fixed, updated manually by administrator) or dynamic (automatically updated by the SAM solution vendor), simple recognition (e.g. using just exe data) or complex recognition (e.g. tying together multiple footprints such as executable meta, registry entries, SWID tag data, package manager details or product specific details gathered by running scripts).
Some commonly used LMS Software are – SURPASS, Lucidea Integrated Library Systems, Koha ILS, L4U, OPALS, Destiny Library Manager, Handy Library Manager, Insignia Library System, Access-It Library, MODERNLIB, Atriuum, LIBRARIAN, Readerware, etc.
It is comprehensively packaged software that supports the librarian very effectively. The software might be either of use only for the librarian or might be useful for both - users and the library staff.
Most software consists of modules that are integrated on the home page. The modules might consist of the following areas:
- Acquisition: Book orders, receipt and invoices related to quotations, procurement and purchase of items.
- Catalogues: Classification and Index of materials stocked.
- Circulation: Materials lent and their receipt
- Serial Tracking: Journals, Periodicals, Magazines and Newspapers that are subscribed and have to track them on daily/weekly/monthly basis
- Public Interface Usage: Checking on the software updates
In this software, each user (and even the item) has a unique ID created by the database that allows the library staff to track the activities and status. Large libraries use both user and staff interfaces of the software and have many integrated features. Small libraries don’t engage in additional expense and just use the basic software system. The interfaces are simple and easy to use. The navigation tools in these are also clean and easily accessibility to the data is possible.
Nowadays, the cloud based & online library management system is widely in demand. In this segment there are some high end software that have integrated automotive system that updates information by scanning the ISBN code.
Choosing a suitable Library Management Software or Library Automation Software is always a difficult task because of the technical parameters associated with the selection of the software, such as the shape of network, computing platform, type of operating systems and various standards. To make it easy for you, here are some of the most important considerations you must know while selecting an LMS Software.
A. General Considerations
1. Gather information and research thoroughly
Have meetings with your team that mostly consists of library staff, library volunteers, and IT personnel, etc. and make a list of all your needs. Gather information about different LMS software and research thoroughly about them.
2. Concentrate on performance and forget the decoration
Thoroughly examine the documentation for the software you are considering. Do not go mad over their advertisements – there is more hidden in the advertisements than it is revealed.
3. Read other’s experiences
It is very important to go through the reviews from experts who have already used the product. Read at least two reviews of any library software before buying. This action will give you an inside vision about how the product really is.
4. Compare price
Compare prices of various LMS software packages; understand what is included in the package and what is excluded. Try to find out hidden costs, if any. Estimate the cost of hardware and database creation and add it to the cost of the package. Now compare again.
5. Stick to proven products
Analyze the reputation and experience in developing LMS software of the originator. Find out the records of the supplier so that the direct communication between you and the software provider is not blocked or slowed. An established Library Management Software provider is more likely to be able to offer continuing support.
B. Technical Considerations
In which language the software is written? Whether a compiler or interpreter is available on the given system to run it efficiently in terms of machine time and storage requirements.
2. Operating System
The package should run under the operating system you have installed in your system or the hardware being used.
The hardware being used in your system should be compatible with the Library Management System software package and its various versions. There should be a scope of upgradation. Other necessary or useful software should also be able to run on the computer system.
The LMS software package should be provided in the form of disks, tapes etc. so that it can be transferred to another medium such as hard disk, when needed.
5. Easy to use
The Library Management System software package should be easy to interact and use. The quality of the software - machine interface, menus, commands, screen displays, documentation etc. will enhance ease in use of the software.
D. Get the Demo
Library management system is very helpful to standalone libraries as well as libraries in schools, colleges, educational as well as other institutes and sometimes also in places of worship. They can take advantage of basic aspects of providing information about the materials and their content.
Library software is helpful in better decision making about what sort of materials need to be stocked or improved. Maintenance is not time consuming. The library staff gets a great help from the software data. Work of the library staff gets smoother and even the work of tracking different modules in the software can be divided among the staff for better control.
- Total cost of handling the library is reduced.
- There is no need for constant hardware/software updates in cloud computing based software
- The library staff can focus on their jobs more easily with the updated data
- With right inputs from the first day, the entire process of library management gets simplified
- The software doesn’t require IT support if the library staff is trained well
- Some software also has provision of data sharing which can be useful for the user and the library staff to communicate effectively.
- The security of the data might be a problem due to the virus attack
- There might be problems in customizing or configuring the options of the software according to the needs of the library
- The users might not be aware of the origin of the information appearing on the screens and might not trust the software if there are discrepancies or errors with the status of the actual items. This makes it necessary to keep all the data updated periodically.
- The library staff must add value to their library facilities and not increase dependency on the software. They have to create the atmosphere of attracting users to the library facility which is not done by the software.
Bar Code Technology: The new age software is the one which is able to read the bar codes. This is an excellent feature to atomize the library completely. This enables tracking of all the materials that are in library or with the user. Ensure that your software package has this essential feature. It is really a big time saver.
- Multimedia: All libraries these days not only stock books or print materials but also other kinds of materials like CDs, DVDs, Audio/Video cassettes. This makes it necessary for the software to have application features for saving this kind of data
- Print Options: The library automation software that enables prints of User IDs is a great boon. This automates the history of every member and also keeps track of materials issued and returned by the member.
- Compatibility: The software must be compatible with all kinds of operating systems and software like Microsoft Office, structured query language (SQL) and DBMS.
- Access: The software data must be accessible anytime and from any location. It must be simple to use and easy to navigate. The search options need to be quick and easy. Online library management system integration is a must to make it easily accessible through different devices.
- Efficiency: Most essential modules that are required in libraries have to be embedded. If there is provision of automatic notifications and alerts it makes the smooth running of the library possible. With online access of data, cataloguing becomes faster. Data entry must be quick and easy with the features provided. If the users can sign-in to use the online version of the services; the work burden of the librarian decreases.
- Power to User: When users manage the accounts by themselves a lot of data input work is removed from the hands of the librarian making them free to focus on other aspects of library management. Search filter options must be easy to search for the user. With the integration of the software with sms and email, the user is updated all the time.
- Technology aspects: The latest technology used in software enables better services for the user. When the digital library software has customizable interface there is possibility of better engagement with the users. The security system has to be enhanced due to cloud computing feature of the software.
- Support: An experienced support team is a bonus for the library staff who till date are used to the traditional methods of handling the library. Library software support through training becomes ideal if the software vendors themselves train the library staff.
CodeAchi Library Management System is a complete solution for managing and administrating any size of Library. Our Research and development always keen to make the software most fast for the operations. Software is fully featured with Barcode, shelf management and more.
Built on 30 years of library and knowledge management expertise. Software that is continuously developed, easy to customize, flexible to adapt to future needs, fully managed and supported. Driven by our passion to provide the best Library & Archive Management service.
Soutron’s single system approach is unique, without compromise. Search and presentation of your archive content to end users and researchers is greatly enhanced by having a single search interface, presented in a search portal branded to match that of your organisation.
MyClassCampus is a Mobile App and Web based tool for schools, colleges and private institutes to help them go digital. It works as an operating system which covers, online teaching, digital data management and communication part.
EDUMAAT is an enhanced ERP that automates the education sector that starts from student admission to graduation. An educational institute is a place where the management, the students, the parents and the faculty are identified as stakeholders.
Academics ERP is a unique and very comprehensive software for management of academic institutions like Primary & Secondary School, Degree, polytechnic, Engineering Institutes, management Institutes, Image of Custom Academics ERP Medical college, Coaching and other Educational institutes.
IOLITE is a paperless school automation software solution for today’s modern schools. School management system produces the facility to carry out all day to day activities of the school, give them fast, simple, effective and accurate.
A web-based state-of-the-art ERP product covering all aspects of operations and management of educational institutions. It helps to keep a track of all the campuses without the need for an additional software. It helps in improving operational effectiveness and bringing down administrative costs.
Entab Infotech Pvt Ltd. is considered as India's Most Preferred School Management Software provider since 18 years. With more than 1200 schools as trusted clientele, we have established ourselves as a Leader in School ERP Software domain.
iCampusHUB, can be defined as all-in-one School/College management system software that is specifically designed and developed to simplify Administrative, Academic and Financial management of a School / College.
Send Fee dues reminder, Attendance alerts, reports cards, messages, news, notices and much more. It's all in 5 minutes and in with few clicks. Our ERP helps school to manage Fees, salary, leave, attendance, Exams, school website, inventory and much more.
Eduflex is elegant in its operational concept of a ‘Service Oriented Approach’. The distributed and synchronized data provides the source of information needed for student, parent, staff and management at a much higher speed.
Parentsalarm is a simple yet intuitive school management system that helps educational institutions manage their operations effectively and also communicate with students’ parents in real-time. From tracking the bus location to providing homework notifications, making announcements, and more, Parentsalarm has got everything covered.
KOOBA- Library Mangement Software is a web based multi user easy to use, specifically designed and developed to simplify the Administration, Circulation and Acquisition of Books and Members of a School / College and public Library.
Ampletrails Library Management System is a software used to manages the catalog of a library. This helps to keep the records of whole transactions of the books available in the library.
Cybrarian is a web-based integrated library automation software based on SaaS model. This is a truly integrated library automation software allowing small to big libraries to go online and to take the advantage of internet world.
D-Edu is specifically developed for educational institutions to manage information spanning all functional requirements Academic, fees, examination, Library, Cash less school, Mobile based Automatic attendance, IVR, Payroll, Transport & Hostel etc.
Schoolknot.com provides Mobile ERP to schools. Its unique features include automated fee reports, intuitive enquiry module with integrated data analytics for multiple branches.
The IMS is a powerful technological system all set to change Education management. It’s a digital platform that transforms information flows and provides an ecosystem for efficiency, accuracy, security, and storage to work in.
Gayatri Library is a software to access information like any dues of any member, refundable and non-refundable members, total books and periodicals with the expenses. Hence you can check all records and reports of all books and periodicals of your library.
Web Librarian is the complete library management and automation solution that enables information providers, information managers, resource incharge, resource managers & librarians to manage & disseminate information available in various kind of resources.
LIBRARIAN is a next generation library management system designed for small to large libraries. Library manager software uses established thoughtfully created design and development principles. Digital library software showcases library’s individual strengths, while freeing staff from routine functions.
MediSteer is a web-based state-of-the-art product covering all aspects of operations and management of small, medium and large-scale hospitals. It helps in improving operational effectiveness and customer care resulting in reduced costs and medical errors.
eShiksa is one of the solutions in this way forward where we propose to provide innovative and cost effective Education Management service to the Education Institutes. eShiksa is an education management portal that facilitates smooth management of educational affairs of an Institute.
SaviSchools is a online school management software designed to handle all school work. It can handle various modules like Students details, results, attendance, Teacher/Staff details & attendance, Tuition fees, Library system, courses, school website etc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Library Management System, more popularly known as LMS, manages the resources in a library. It maintains up-to-date information and thus helps librarians focus on their jobs. Further, it is built to increase efficiency, save valuable administration time, and lead to a better educational experience.
Any Library Management Software comprises of the following standard modules:
3. Report generation
5. Serial Tracking
The library is considered to be the brain of any educational institute - be it a school, college, or university. With the advancement in digital content, it becomes crucial for institutes to maintain the catalog of educational information. This is why the importance of library management system is growing.
A well-chosen library management system software with features like barcode scanning helps the library staff to keep track of different records. A librarian can determine the -
1. Issue & Return Date
2. Book catalogs with different genres
3. Total books issued
4. Number of available books
5. Calculate & Collect fine for individual books
Any typical library management software should comprise of the following features -
1. Barcode Scanning
2. Acquisition Management
3. Catalog Management
4. Online Public Access Catalog
5. Self check-in & check-out
6. Reseve Shelf Management
7. Fee Collection